Chinmaya Mission Boston, working closely with leaders from other organizations, business leaders and universities has organized the first workshop of its kind on a burning topic – the future of our faith-based identity. Spirituality is used as a substitute, separate from religion. There is a fear of attributing long held values to one’s religious foundation.
In the current climate, it is taboo to speak about one’s religious belief without being labeled as narrow-minded. On the other hand, calling oneself spiritual is acceptable, even considered “cool”. Are spirituality and religion separate? Can one exist without the other?
” Every true religion contains two important limbs: (i) the ritualistic injunctions and (ii) philosophical suggestions. The former alone is accepted generally as religion by many of us, but a religion (rituals, formalities etc.) without philosophy is superstition, and philosophy without religion is barren. Both must go hand in hand. Philosophy reinforces the external practices of rituals and formalities and blesses them with a purpose and an aim. Together they bring out the full significance of religion.”- Swami Chinmayananda
What stops us from integrating our religious identity with the rest of our personality?
We would like to address this topic head on, give voice to our fears and concerns, and together find some answers.
We have an amazing host of moderators who will lead life-stage based discussion groups. We also have three impactful keynote speakers who will provide a high level guidance for the workshop. See roster below:
- Dr. Udit Batra, CEO, Waters Corporation
- Dr. Abhaya Asthana, Fellow, Bell Labs, Chairman, World Hindu Council
- Swami Ishwarananda, Head Monk, Chinmaya Mission Los Angeles
- Breakout Session [Group 1 – Young adult 16-22 years] – Brahmachari Sharan, Chaplain, Georgetown University & Brahmachari Hari, Chinmaya Mission Dallas, Fort Worth
- Breakout Session [Group 2 – Evolving adult 23-45 years] – Shri. Vivek Gupta, Spiritual Guide, Chinmaya Mission Niagara, & Brahmacharini Shuchita, Chinmaya Mission, Austin
- Breakout Session [Group 3 – Established adult 45+] – Shri. T.R. Raghunath, President, Thin Films Research Inc & Shri. Abhaya Asthana, Fellow, Nokia Bell Labs, Chairman, World Hindu Council.
Click here to register for the workshop: https://chinmaya-boston.org/